It’s the opening night of The Golden Egg on Broadway, and the wealthy producer Julia Budder is throwing a lavish party in her lavish Manhattan townhouse. Downstairs the celebrities are pouring in, but the real action is upstairs in the bedroom, where a group of insiders have staked themselves out to await the reviews.
The group includes the excitable playwright; the possibly unstable wunderkind director; the pill-popping leading lady, treading the boards after becoming infamous in Hollywood; and the playwright’s best friend, for whom the play was written but who passed up this production for a television series. Add to this a drama critic who’s panned the playwright in the past and a new-in-town aspiring singer, and you have a prime recipe for the narcissism, ambition, childishness, and just plain irrationality that infuse the theatre—and for comedy. But don’t worry: This play is sure to be the hit they have all been hoping for.
Cast of Characters
- James Wicker, television actor and Peter’s best friend who passed over the lead in “The Golden Egg”
- Julia Budder, a rich, first-time solo producer of Peter’s play and hostess of the opening night party
- Peter Austin, the playwright of “The Golden Egg”
- Virginia Noyes, dissolute, aging star of the play
- Frank Finger, the young, egomaniacal, “genius” British director
- Ira Drew, savage theater critic
- Gus P. Head, the coat-check boy who aspires to be on Broadway
If you would like to volunteer to help out during a performance and get to see the show for free, follow the link below!
Special event nights:
Preview night: February 27 (Industry night) – password is goldenegg to reserve seats
Opening night gala: February 28 (all patrons enjoy champagne and desserts
Senior discount code: senior19
Educator discount code: edu19
Military/First Responder discount code: hero19
Contact the box office for groups of 10 or 20